Apple stock opens about 5% down, but most analysts remain calm
At the opening bell this morning, AAPL was down 5%, erasing about US$15 billion dollars of the company's market value. As of this writing, Apple is trading at $336. It's not time to get out on the ledges, however, as many experts think an expected blow-out earnings call later today could erase the losses.
Of course, the stock value picture is always most interesting over the long run, and will also be impacted by how long Steve Jobs is out on medical leave. Many investors are sitting on the sidelines waiting to see the results of the earnings call, and some are predicting Apple will announce a 50% increase in quarterly sales this afternoon. Other analysts expect lower earnings and revenue.
Apple made the announcement about the medical leave yesterday on a US holiday when American markets were closed. When Jobs announced his previous leave, the stock lost about 8% in two days. Last Friday, Apple stock was at a 52 week high of $348 per share.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free
- Dragon Dictate 4 released today with new features and speed enhancements