Playboy Magazine to hit the iPad uncensored in March (updated, no nudes)
We were surprised to learn that an uncensored version of Playboy Magazine will hit the iPad in March, including a complete back catalog. Hef shared the news on Twitter, saying, "Big news! Playboy--both old & new--will be available on iPad beginning in March," and "Playboy on iPad will be uncensored."
It's interesting, considering Apple's stance on adult material in the App Store. Last February, Apple removed some 5,000 apps for what it called "objectionable content." In an interview with the New York Times, Apple's head of worldwide product marketing Phil Schiller was asked why iPhone apps from Sports Illustrated and Playboy (which include images of scantily-clad but non-nude women), remained in the store. Schiller replied, "The difference is this is a well-known company with previously published material available broadly in a well-accepted format."
Later that month an "Explicit" category briefly appeared in the App Store but was later removed.
There are no details on how the iPad app will be delivered and with what restrictions, but we'll find out soon enough.
Update: Turns out this won't be "uncensored" at all. The iPad app will be a tamed-down version of the Playboy magazine, whereas Playboy is launching an iPad-friendly website, which will be uncensored. Thanks to Violet Blue for the clarification.
[Via Engadget, hat tip to Tech Trackr]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service