LIFE's photographic history of computing
LIFE Magazine was a great magazine in its day. Since ceasing monthly publication in 2000 and closing as a newspaper supplement in 2007, the brand itself appears on the occasional "special issue" and has continued showcasing images on its website. You can also browse the LIFE archives through the lovely and free iPad app.
LIFE puts together galleries from time to time around various themes, and one that might be relevant to your interests is A Brief History Of Computing. Starting with the abacus and working through history to get to current events (I won't give away the ending!), it's an interesting look at how technology has evolved on the computing front over the last 5,000 years.
Which image is your favorite?
P.S. Our own Mike Rose was a manager at the monthly LIFE from 1996 to 2000.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter