TUAW Cares: Sharing with the troops
After we posted about the free rollover minutes offer from AT&T earlier this month, we were deluged by readers who wanted to know if they could donate some or all of their accumulated minutes to US troops serving overseas. We contacted AT&T to see if we could make this happen. Unfortunately, AT&T does not accept donated rollover minutes or allow you to transfer them.
AT&T spokesperson Seth Bloom told us to let our readers know about the Cell Phones for Soldiers program, which collects used handsets in order to raise funds to buy prepaid phone cards for members of the military. You can donate directly, without having to fork over your iPhone, by texting "CP4S" to 704 to make a $5 contribution to Cell Phones for Soldiers. AT&T is waiving all messaging charges and taxes for the text donations.
There are a number of online petitions aimed at getting AT&T to change its policy on donating rollover minutes, but to date, AT&T has no policy in-place to allow this kind of donation to occur.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration