Amazon Prime members can stream movies, TV shows for free
Yes, it works on Macs. If you subscribe to the Amazon Prime service, which gets you free two-day shipping or overnight shipping for $3.99, you can now get about 5,000 movies to watch on demand at no additional cost. Amazon Prime costs US$79.00 per year.
What's going on here? Well, Amazon has been rumored to be lusting over the Netflix space for some time. This update to Prime is likely an initial baby step, and it will get a lot of attention. The Amazon library is small with just 5,000 movies and TV shows, while Netflix can stream about 20,000 films. Customers will find some dogs like Battlefield Earth, cult flicks like Arlington Road and several decent documentaries like Ken Burns' National Parks. The feature also works on many interconnected TVs, Blu-ray players and set top boxes, so you can watch on your big screen.
Non-members can try Amazon Prime for free for 30 days. The movies require Flash 10, so iPhones and iPads are a no-go -- it's not just like Netflix, which works on all iOS devices. Still, if you are an Amazon Prime member, it's a no brainer. If not, it might put you over the edge. Amazon Prime video streaming is a US-only feature.
Yes, it works on Macs. If you subscribe to the Amazon Prime service, which gets you free two-day shipping or overnight shipping for $3.99,...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs