Rumor: Apple to hold iOS 5 and MobileMe media event in April
German Apple site Macerkopf.de is claiming via a "trusted source" that Apple is set to hold a media event sometime during the first two weeks of April in which Apple will preview iOS 5 and also launch a revamped MobileMe service. The site offers no details on the features of iOS 5 or what the MobileMe revamp might entail, but it is not unreasonable to assume Apple would be holding such an event in the near future to prep developers for the next release of iOS, which presumably will be released with the iPhone 5 in the summer.
For those of you wondering if you should wait until the release of iOS 5 to buy a new iPad 2, which ships this Friday, don't bother. Apple has stated in the past that all iPad owners are entitled to one free iOS upgrade. It will, however, be interesting to see whether Apple plans to charge original iPad owners (who already got their free upgrade with iOS 4.2) for the iOS 5 upgrade.
Macerkopf.de's original posting about the iOS 5 event can be read in English (via Google Translate) here.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options