Apple has set up a temporary Apple Store in Austin, TX for SXSW
Apple is leasing retail space in downtown Austin for the upcoming South by Southwest conference. The temporary retail store will be located at Sixth and Congress Street and preparations are under way for a Friday opening. This debut coincides with the launch of the iPad 2 and the SXSW conference which begins March 11. The space is quite close to the downtown Austin Convention Center -- handy if you are attending SXSW and want to get an iPad 2 without using a car or taxi.
Rance Wilemon, a partner of Plat.Form Real Estate which is leasing the space to Apple, suggests this opening is not meant to test the market in downtown Austin, but is a way for Apple to participate in the popular SXSW conference. Apple already owns and operates two full retail stores in Austin, one in the Barton Creek Square mall in southwest Austin and one at the Domain in north Austin. The company has no plans to open a third store in the immediate future.
We will be on hand for the SXSW conference and will snag some pictures as well as take a stroll through this temporary store.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter