The Daily set to launch in the UK, US edition only
According to The Guardian newspaper, Rupert Murdoch's The Daily will be available in the UK within the first half of this year, but first Apple must introduce its new subscription-based pricing system in the UK.
Jon Miller, the chief digital officer of Murdoch's News Corporation, said that it would be "not too long from now" until the news app arrives in western Europe. It's understood, however, that this will simply be the US edition made available outside of the US. There was some conjecture that a British-specific edition would be made available in the future, but The Guardian reports that "... the media giant [News Corp.] emphasized there were no immediate plans for a British edition of the title."
The Daily launched in the US on February 2, 2011 and was received with a mixed reaction, particularly by the TUAW team. Check out Steve Sande's, Dave Caolo's and Mel Martin's (first and second) impressions of the electronic newspaper.
The Daily has been available as a free trial since its launch, but next week it will cost 99 cents a week or US$39.99 for a year-long subscription. Although News Corp hasn't released any official figures, The Guardian estimates around 5,000 users have signed up for the the year-long subscription.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature