iPad 2 teardown: GSM and CDMA differences
Their original teardown was of a humble (relative to other iPad 2s only) 16 GB Wi-Fi only model. Now they've attacked (harsh term) CDMA and GSM models to bring us some very nice geeky internals pictures.
In general, they say, Apple has made the same design change decisions as they did between the GSM and CDMA versions of the iPhone 4. There's no need for a microSIM slot, an extra antenna for the CDMA model or that Qualcomm Gobi radio chip, which supports both GSM and CDMA standards (does this point to the iPhone 5 supporting CDMA and GSM in the one handset?) and so on.
iFixit's most interesting conclusion: "Of the three, having the Wi-Fi only version in your chest pocket is your best bet if someone decides to shoot at you." Tony Soprano, take note next time you visit Junior.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration