AT&T iPhone sales unaffected by Verizon launch
AT&T announced its first quarterly earnings for 2011 and sales of the iPhone 4 remain strong. According to the earnings statement, AT&T activated 3.6 million iPhones in the quarter ending March 31. This is a one million year over year increase and a slight drop from the 4.1 million activated in Q4 2010. Overall, AT&T added two million new subscribers to climb to 97.5 million total subscribers. This figure is also down from the 2.8 million subscribers AT&T added in the closing quarter of 2010.
These sales numbers were recorded in the same quarter Verizon Wireless launched its version of the iPhone 4. Despite predictions the Verizon iPhone would lead to a mass exodus from AT&T, the wireless carrier confirmed that iPhone churn remained the same year over year. In fact, about 23 percent of iPhone buyers in Q1 were new to AT&T. Apple reports it quarterly earnings today at 5 p.m. ET and Verizon reports its earnings tomorrow. It will be interesting to see where the remaining iPhone numbers fall.
AT&T announced its first quarterly earnings for 2011 and sales of the iPhone 4 remain strong. According to the earnings statement,...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update