TUAW's Daily App: Starfront Collision
Gameloft has earned a reputation for, ahem, "borrowing" some game ideas for the App Store. A lot of the company's (very popular) games are more or less copies of popular titles on other platforms. One of Gameloft's latest games, Starfront Collision, is no different; it's basically a clone of StarCraft.
But here's the thing: Who cares? Blizzard hasn't actually put out a version of StarCraft for iOS, and to be honest, the RTS options are pretty limited. So if Gameloft wants to "borrow" the genre and even some of its various factions and units, that doesn't bother us one bit.
Unfortunately, it doesn't quite have the polish of StarCraft (what does?), but it's a working RTS, built from the ground up for the iPhone. While it would be nice to see some official Blizzard games on iOS, we don't have those yet. In the meantime, fans of the genre and Blizzard's classic can check out Starfront Collision, either as a free version with in-app purchases for content, or by buying the app at US$2.99.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free