Samsung brings Apple patent suit to US soil
Last week Samsung countersued Apple in Korea, Japan and Germany for infringements on up to five Samsung patents. The countersuit came after Apple lobbed a massive suit against Samsung for copying the iPhone and iPad. Apple wasn't pulling any punches either. "It's no coincidence that Samsung's latest products look a lot like the iPhone and iPad, from the shape of the hardware to the user interface and even the packaging. This kind of blatant copying is wrong, and we need to protect Apple's intellectual property when companies steal our ideas," a Cupertino spokesperson said.
Well, Samsung brought its patent infringement countersuit against Apple to the US yesterday. As Bloomberg reports, the new US suit expands the number of alleged patent infringements by Apple to 10. Among the alleged violations: a patent that covers improvements to text messages and their attachments, another that covers technology that allows a user to place a phone call and surf the Web at the same time, and another that allows for increased capacity of mobile networks.
How this is all going to play out is anyone's guess. All I can say with certainty is that this is a great time to be an IP lawyer.
Last week Samsung countersued Apple in Korea, Japan and Germany for infringements on up to five Samsung patents. The countersuit came...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update
- Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates