Cable TV iPad apps prove popular with customers
GigaOm has posted some interesting numbers about cable providers' apps that allow subscribers to watch TV right on their iPads.
Time Warner Cable stated on its earnings call that its TWCable TV app has been downloaded more than 360,000 times in just under a month. Comcast's Xfinity TV app (out since November) has been downloaded a whopping 1.5 million times, and Cablevision's Optimum app had 50,000 downloads in just five days.
All signs are pointing to the fact that cable subscribers love to be able to stream their shows to the iPad. Now, of course there are those pesky lawsuits from content distributors who are attempting to keep their channels off the iPad apps, but thankfully some cooler heads are prevailing.
With the impressive download numbers above suggesting that people love viewing their cable TV service on the iPad, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before commercials start appearing that highlight a company's iPad app as a feature of choosing one cable company over another.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options