Kinect plus iPhone used to create gaming prototype
Rockmoon is a developer in Singapore that built this rig above -- it's an iPhone hooked up to Microsoft's Kinect motion controller, used to work with a game prototype similar to the old Sewer Shark Sega CD title. Basically, it's a two player affair, with one player using the Kinect to actually steer the in-game vehicle, and another using the iPhone to control the on-board guns.
As you can see in the YouTube video after the break, it all works quite well, though given all of the various forces at play here, there's likely no way this can be a viable commercial solution. Still, it's a fun idea, and it does show just how versatile the iPhone is in terms of the ways it can be used to control games both on and off its own screen. It would be cool to see an app like this used in conjunction with another gaming system. Apple, how 'bout it?
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options