NPD: Mobile accounts for half of digital game downloads
NPD has released a report that cites mobile games as a big driver for digital downloads overall. Digital game consumption has been growing in leaps and bounds lately, and according to the latest report, nearly half of all of those digital game downloads come from mobile game platforms, of which, we already know, the iOS platform makes up a huge part.
Of course, iOS and the App Store can't be given credit for all of the digital game download trend -- while the App Store certainly has its share of popularity, there are other platforms, such as Xbox Live, Steam and Nintendo's WiiWare and DSiWare, that are also driving game downloads forward. But Apple's App Store is still the mobile standard, and given that many people downloading apps are people who don't necessarily own other consoles or may not have downloaded apps before, iTunes is one avenue for the growing trend of purchasing games and other software.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature