Report suggests 64 GB, 3G iPad is top seller
The 64 GB Wi-Fi + 3G model is the most popular iPad 2 model according to market research firm Context. The top-of-the-line model accounted for a third of all iPad 2 sales in Western Europe. The runner-up in this sales race is the entry-level 16 GB Wi-Fi only model, which grabbed 22 percent of all iPad 2 sales. Combined, these two models account for more than half of all iPad 2 sales in the region.
Overall, Apple was, once again, the dominant tablet with 80 percent market share in the opening quarter of 2011. Context mobile computing analyst, Salman Chaudhry predicts the iPad will remain #1 in Western Europe, but will face increasing competition from Android tablets. The Android effect is already taking its toll on iPad sales -- according to Context, Apple's tablet dropped five percentage points from Q4 2010 to Q1 2011.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options