iPad app Flipboard blocked in China
Flipboard CEO Mike McCue confirmed over the weekend that its popular Flipboard app for the iPad no longer works in China. The company is investigating the problem, but it seems that China is now blocking Flipboard servers from sending data to the Flipboard app. All services, including Facebook, Twitter and RSS, are no longer available to Chinese Flipboard users.
CEO McCue questions whether this is part of China's censorship policy or a way to promote Chinese businesses that clone Flipboard. He says,
"They (the clones) are complete replicas visually," begging the question, "Do the Chinese censor US services to protect their regime or to protect their market?"
Chinese users account for a small percentage of Flipboard users, and this block will prevent the company from further tapping this lucrative market.
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time