iPad app Flipboard blocked in China
Flipboard CEO Mike McCue confirmed over the weekend that its popular Flipboard app for the iPad no longer works in China. The company is investigating the problem, but it seems that China is now blocking Flipboard servers from sending data to the Flipboard app. All services, including Facebook, Twitter and RSS, are no longer available to Chinese Flipboard users.
CEO McCue questions whether this is part of China's censorship policy or a way to promote Chinese businesses that clone Flipboard. He says,
"They (the clones) are complete replicas visually," begging the question, "Do the Chinese censor US services to protect their regime or to protect their market?"
Chinese users account for a small percentage of Flipboard users, and this block will prevent the company from further tapping this lucrative market.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free