Dear Aunt TUAW: Help me stream my music
Dear Aunt TUAW,
Do you know an app that streams music from Mac to iOS? I hear that Apple's iCloud is going to do this but I don't want to pay $25 a year.
Your loving nephew,
Auntie supposes we'll all learn on Monday about Apple's new streaming service iCloud, as MobileMe's happy blue iDisk cloud gets all steel-ified and Apple starts making use of its massive North Carolina data storage megaplex.
But yes, there are other solutions. Matt Gallagher's StreamToMe lets you send music stored on your Mac or PC to a remote iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Supported formats include MP4, MP3, AAC, and WMA.
Your system must be set up to be remotely accessible, and you need to install a special application called ServeToMe whose job it is to access, transcode, and send data.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync