Dear Aunt TUAW: Help me stream my music
Dear Aunt TUAW,
Do you know an app that streams music from Mac to iOS? I hear that Apple's iCloud is going to do this but I don't want to pay $25 a year.
Your loving nephew,
Auntie supposes we'll all learn on Monday about Apple's new streaming service iCloud, as MobileMe's happy blue iDisk cloud gets all steel-ified and Apple starts making use of its massive North Carolina data storage megaplex.
But yes, there are other solutions. Matt Gallagher's StreamToMe lets you send music stored on your Mac or PC to a remote iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. Supported formats include MP4, MP3, AAC, and WMA.
Your system must be set up to be remotely accessible, and you need to install a special application called ServeToMe whose job it is to access, transcode, and send data.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service