Dragon Remote Mic lets your iPhone dictate to your PC
Nuance's Dragon Remote Mic is now available in the App Store. It turns your iPhone into a Wi-Fi connected microphone for dictation, but buyer beware: it is compatible with Dragon Naturally Speaking for the PC, not the Dragon Dictate Mac product. Chances are, we'll see compatibility with the Mac app in an upcoming release.
While there are plenty of rumors swirling around Nuance's presumptive major role in iOS 5, this app is not part of that mix. It's designed to work only as a microphone for the desktop apps.
The purported settings screenshots from iOS 5 that surfaced this weekend imply that on-device dictation powered by Nuance's code will be available as a system-level service on iOS devices, and that wouldn't require that users run a separate Nuance front-end app.
Even though Nuance's absence was notable during WWDC last week, Nuance voices were found in the developer's preview of Lion and references to speech technology were discovered in iOS 5's internal preferences.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs