Dragon Remote Mic lets your iPhone dictate to your PC
Nuance's Dragon Remote Mic is now available in the App Store. It turns your iPhone into a Wi-Fi connected microphone for dictation, but buyer beware: it is compatible with Dragon Naturally Speaking for the PC, not the Dragon Dictate Mac product. Chances are, we'll see compatibility with the Mac app in an upcoming release.
While there are plenty of rumors swirling around Nuance's presumptive major role in iOS 5, this app is not part of that mix. It's designed to work only as a microphone for the desktop apps.
The purported settings screenshots from iOS 5 that surfaced this weekend imply that on-device dictation powered by Nuance's code will be available as a system-level service on iOS devices, and that wouldn't require that users run a separate Nuance front-end app.
Even though Nuance's absence was notable during WWDC last week, Nuance voices were found in the developer's preview of Lion and references to speech technology were discovered in iOS 5's internal preferences.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration