Magellan updates Roadmate for iPhone with new interface and free 'lifetime' map updates
Magellan has pushed out a rather massive and free update to iPhone Roadmate users. The entire engine and user interface have been freshened up and greatly improved (to my taste, that is). Yelp! and Google search are included, and the app has added personalization features to the display, including arrival time, distance to destination, and your speed.
In a quick test of the app I found it functioned smoothly, and I like the addition of lane assist and Google searching. One thing to note is that Magellan defines 'lifetime' updates for maps and traffic data as "the life of the product or 3 years, whichever is reached first, or until Magellan no longer receives relevant map and traffic data." That's not that long, but it's better than no updates at all.
I've generally liked the Magellan iPhone product but still prefer the Navigon app for day to day driving. With Navigon about to be purchased by Garmin, I'll be keeping my eyes open to see how competition develops.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter