Magellan updates Roadmate for iPhone with new interface and free 'lifetime' map updates
Magellan has pushed out a rather massive and free update to iPhone Roadmate users. The entire engine and user interface have been freshened up and greatly improved (to my taste, that is). Yelp! and Google search are included, and the app has added personalization features to the display, including arrival time, distance to destination, and your speed.
In a quick test of the app I found it functioned smoothly, and I like the addition of lane assist and Google searching. One thing to note is that Magellan defines 'lifetime' updates for maps and traffic data as "the life of the product or 3 years, whichever is reached first, or until Magellan no longer receives relevant map and traffic data." That's not that long, but it's better than no updates at all.
I've generally liked the Magellan iPhone product but still prefer the Navigon app for day to day driving. With Navigon about to be purchased by Garmin, I'll be keeping my eyes open to see how competition develops.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options