Apple awarded multitouch patent, debate over implications ensues
Apple has recently been awarded a patent for a "Portable multifunction device, method, and graphical user interface for translating displayed content," and much debate has ensued over the implications of this patent. Some, such as intellectual property analyst Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents, claim the content of the patent is excessively broad. Mueller told PCMag that the patent "covers a kind of functionality without which it will be hard to build a competitive smartphone," and could "allow Apple to stifle innovation and bully competitors."
Others, such as Nilay Patel of This is my next, disagree and claim the patent is in fact very narrowly focused. Classifying the reaction of outlets like PCMag and Macworld as a "media firestorm," Patel claims the patent's contents only apply to a very narrow range of behaviors. "The main idea is always the same: you interact with a main interface display using N fingers, and you interact with a frame within that display using M fingers, in a way that doesn't alter the main display." As one example, Patel notes that you're able to use the pinch-to-zoom gesture on an embedded map in Mobile Safari without causing the content around that map to zoom as well.
Patently Apple's analysis of the patent asserts that Patel's interpretation is incorrect, and the patent may well be as far-reaching as initial reports suggested. The site claims this newly-awarded patent applies not only to the main claim, but also several other incorporated patents that read like a litany of basic multitouch device functionality:
- Multipoint Touch Surface Controller
- Multipoint Touchscreen
- Gestures For Touch Sensitive Input Devices
- Mode-Based Graphical User Interfaces For Touch Sensitive Input Devices
- Virtual Input Device Placement On A Touch Screen User Interface
- Operation Of A Computer With A Touch Screen Interface
- Activating Virtual Keys Of A Touch-Screen Virtual Keyboard
- Multi-Functional Hand-Held Device
Apple has recently been awarded a patent for a "Portable multifunction device, method, and graphical user interface for translating...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time