Wiping down your iPhone for resale
It's time to hand off your old iPhone to its new owner, but you definitely want to scrub it clean of all your data beforehand. Simple enough: in the Settings app, tap General, then scroll down to Reset and tap it. The option to 'Erase All Content and Settings' is the one you want; it will remove any trace of personalization and all your installed apps, returning your phone to factory-fresh condition.
Depending on which iOS device you're resetting, the process may take quite a while (older iPod touch and iPhones pre-3GS don't support hardware encryption, so they actually have to wipe all the onboard memory byte by byte). Be sure you're plugged into power or that the device is fully charged before you begin.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs