The iCloud logo and the golden ratio
Apple's commitment to thoughtful design is legendary, and here's another example. The iCloud logo uses the golden ratio.
In short, the golden ratio is an irrational mathematical constant that often occurs in nature. When applied to design, the results are considered aesthetically pleasing. Artists have been using it for centuries, including Leonardo da Vinci and Salvador Dali.
Takamasa Matsumoto of Design Archive considered the iCloud logo's irregular shape, and took some measurements. He found that the golden ratio was represented by the cloud's inner "circles" as well as the cloud as a whole.
Well done, Apple.
[Via Business Insider]
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)