Apple's supply demands could affect Amazon tablet production
According to Digitimes, Amazon is shopping around for manufacturers to supply touchscreen panels for its rumored upcoming tablet. The retail giant has supposedly approached TPK Holdings, Wintek, HannStarr Display and J Touch. Two of the four manufacturers, TPK Holdings and Wintek, currently supply touchscreens for Apple and are hesitant to make a commitment to Amazon.
Amazon is looking to ship 4 million tablet units by the end of the year and neither manufacturer has the resources to supply Apple and Amazon at the same time. The online retailer may be forced to turn to smaller manufacturers for its touchscreen panel supply. This move could limit the supply of tablets Amazon has on hand for its launch, which is not a good starting position for a new entrant in the highly competitive tablet market.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station
- Microsoft revamps Bing for iPad
- Plex updated for iOS 7
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support