Scribd introduces Float, new iPhone app for reading online content
Online document publishing platform Scribd introduced a new mobile application for the iPhone called Float Reader. The app is a reading tool that lies somewhere in between Flipboard and Instapaper
As expected, the Float Reader app lets you read documents from your online Scribd account. Scribd has also partnered with 150 publishers like Tech Crunch, Engadget, AP and Fox Sports to reformat their content for the application. Publishers are organized into categories such as entertainment, technology, sports and politics.
The application has several options to make reading easy on your eyes including a night mode, battery saver mode, sunlight mode and more. Float Reader also lets you adjust the font size using the pinch to zoom gesture and navigate page to page by swiping. The app is a standard reader with some social features, but there are plans to expand the service beyond this early iteration.
Scribd hopes to use this app to launch a mobile reading platform it claims will be the Netflix for written content. The company wants to ink deals with premium content providers and offer this exclusive material to Float subscribers for a basic monthly fee. Advertisements will be used to monetize the app and content providers can share in this incoming revenue.
For now, you can check out Float Reader application yourself. It's available for free from the App Store.
Online document publishing platform Scribd introduced a new mobile application for the iPhone called Float Reader. The app is a...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update
- Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates