iPad 2 shipping time hits 24 hours for the first time
For the first time since the iPad 2 began selling on March 11, 2011, the shipping time for the iconic tablet is 24 hours. That's right -- you can order an iPad 2 right now with the assurance that it be shipped from the factory within one day. It will take a few days longer for it to actually arrive at your doorstep, but at least there are no delays in production now.
This is a sure sign that Apple's production of the iPad 2 has finally reached an equilibrium with demand. During the Apple Q3 2011 Results Call last month, Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook noted that the company was nearing that critical balance of supply and demand, and it appears that early production issues have been resolved.
Shortly after the iPad 2 release, TUAW reported that shipping times had slipped out to 4 - 5 weeks. By the end of April, those times had decreased to the 1 - 2 week level. Since then, improvements in the yield of critical components have helped the situation.
If the future iPad 3 proves to be as popular as its predecessors, I'm sure we'll see similar shortages for 4 to 5 months, so be sure to order early and often.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync