Apple, Microsoft may bid to build tablets for Turkish school children
The Turkish Anatolia news agency is reporting that Apple may make a bid for a contract to supply 15 million iPads to school children in Turkey over four years. During Turkish Trade Minister Zafer Caglayan's visit to the US, Apple reportedly told the Trade Minister that it would consider manufacturing some iPhone and iPad peripherals, like Smart Covers and ear buds, in Turkey in order to win the contract.
However, an agreement by Apple to manufacture accessories in Turkey might not be enough to secure the contract as the Turkish government had previously said that the tablets themselves would need to be manufactured in the country. Besides Apple, Microsoft and Intel are also reportedly interested in submitting bids for the 15 million tablet contract.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter