iPhone 4, 3GS outsell competition in Q2 says NPD Group
NPD's just published their Q2 2011 Mobile Phone Track service report, which lists the top five selling smartphones in the U.S. for the months of April-June of this year. They are:
- Apple iPhone 4
- Apple iPhone 3GS
- HTC EVO 4G
- HTC Inspire 4G
- Samsung INTENSITYII
Many people would correctly assume that the iPhone 4 would be on top, but it's interesting that Apple's iPhone 3GS -- which launched more than two years ago in June 2009 -- is sitting at the #2 spot and outselling more advanced, more powerful, 4G android smartphones.
Sure, the fact that the phone now sells for $49 with a two year AT&T contract (or free if you buy today) can account for some of its popularity, but there are several newer Android handsets that would be on the list if price were the only factor.
The fact that the iPhone 4, which is 14 months old, and the iPhone 3GS still top NPD's smartphone chart is a testament to Apple's combined hardware and software ecosystem. When the 26-month old iPhone 3GS is still outselling dual-core 4G Android handsets it suggests that, in a post-PC world, regular consumers care about tech specs less than ease-of-use and good design.
NPD's just published their Q2 2011 Mobile Phone Track service report, which lists the top five selling smartphones in the U.S. for the...
Deals of the Daymore deals
Software Updatesmore updates
- Poser 10 and Poser Pro 2014 available, bringing new characters, physics and more
- Agile Partners releases Lick of the Day 2.0
- Google announces new Hangout app to hit iOS today
- Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 Update 14.3.4
- Pixelmator 2.2 available with over 100 new features and improvements
- DabKick for iPhone lets you share photos, watch videos and now listen to music in real-time