iPhone 4, 3GS outsell competition in Q2 says NPD Group
NPD's just published their Q2 2011 Mobile Phone Track service report, which lists the top five selling smartphones in the U.S. for the months of April-June of this year. They are:
- Apple iPhone 4
- Apple iPhone 3GS
- HTC EVO 4G
- HTC Inspire 4G
- Samsung INTENSITYII
Many people would correctly assume that the iPhone 4 would be on top, but it's interesting that Apple's iPhone 3GS -- which launched more than two years ago in June 2009 -- is sitting at the #2 spot and outselling more advanced, more powerful, 4G android smartphones.
Sure, the fact that the phone now sells for $49 with a two year AT&T contract (or free if you buy today) can account for some of its popularity, but there are several newer Android handsets that would be on the list if price were the only factor.
The fact that the iPhone 4, which is 14 months old, and the iPhone 3GS still top NPD's smartphone chart is a testament to Apple's combined hardware and software ecosystem. When the 26-month old iPhone 3GS is still outselling dual-core 4G Android handsets it suggests that, in a post-PC world, regular consumers care about tech specs less than ease-of-use and good design.
NPD's just published their Q2 2011 Mobile Phone Track service report, which lists the top five selling smartphones in the U.S. for the...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free