iPhone poised to take China by storm
It's that time of the year when wireless carriers are reporting their quarterly earnings and leaking tidbits of information about their future financial prospects. Though many carriers focus on ARPU and churn, both China Mobile and China Telecom have been forthcoming about their future iPhone plans.
Besides financial estimates, executives from both Chinese carriers have hinted at the iPhone during or immediately after their earnings conference calls. Just last week, China Mobile, the largest wireless carrier in the world with over 650 million customers, revealed that its executives have met with Steve Jobs to discuss the possibility of carrying the iPhone.Not to be left out, China Telecom released its quarterly earnings on Tuesday and Chairman Wang Xiaochu said during a news conference that the carrier has "a confidential agreement with Apple and can't tell you anything as of now." China Telecom is the number three wireless carrier in China with over 110 million subscribers.
If you believe these reports, it appears Apple may be preparing to take China by storm. The iPhone is currently sold by #2 wireless carrier China Unicom which boasts of over 157 million subscribers. If the iPhone lands at both China Mobile and China Telecom, the Cupertino company could make its popular smartphone available to over 760 million new subscribers.
It's that time of the year when wireless carriers are reporting their quarterly earnings and leaking tidbits of information about their...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daylite 5 adds refinements to the business management app
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update