Popularity of the MacBook Air to limit early Ultrabook production
Intel and its manufacturing partners are gearing up to launch its line of Ultrabooks, a thin notebook that'll compete with the MacBook Pro. Instead of a blow-out launch, a report from Digitimes suggests companies like Lenovo, Asus and Acer are taking a more conservative approach.
Ultrabook manufacturers have reportedly order a mere 50,000 units which will land in retail outlets this fall. These companies will gauge the acceptance of this new line before ramping up production. The popularity of the MacBook Air, which is quickly becoming one of Apple's best-selling model this year, is one factor contributing to this limited production.
Even if they can undercut the MacBook Air with a sub-$1000 price tag, notebook manufacturers may have a hard time competing with Apple's slim, but powerful MacBook Air model.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration