KDDI to end Softbank's iPhone exclusivity in Japan in 2012
A rumor from Japan's Nikkei newspaper suggests wireless carrier KDDI will begin selling the iPhone 5 early next year. This deal would end the exclusive iPhone agreement Japanese carrier Softbank has enjoyed the past few years. And enjoy it, Softbank has.
In its June quarterly earnings, Softbank's net income jumped 500% year over year due to sales to the iPhone and iPad. This impressive growth could end if KDDI gets the iPhone. The two carriers would be on same playing field and competition would hinge on plans and pricing, not phone availability. This is a change that could potentially shake up the mobile phone industry in the island country.
A rumor from Japan's Nikkei newspaper suggests wireless carrier KDDI will begin selling the iPhone 5 early next year. This deal would...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- 1Password 4.5 for iOS gains features, slims down
- IFTTT for iPad brings service/device mashups to your favorite tablet
- Daily App: Rormix brings indie music videos to your iPhone and iPad
- Pebble updates its iOS app with new apps, sharing options and v2.1 fix
- PSA: Pebble for iOS v.2.1 update contains critical flaw that breaks the app - Update
- Today in the App Store -- the best free apps, new apps and app updates