KDDI to end Softbank's iPhone exclusivity in Japan in 2012
A rumor from Japan's Nikkei newspaper suggests wireless carrier KDDI will begin selling the iPhone 5 early next year. This deal would end the exclusive iPhone agreement Japanese carrier Softbank has enjoyed the past few years. And enjoy it, Softbank has.
In its June quarterly earnings, Softbank's net income jumped 500% year over year due to sales to the iPhone and iPad. This impressive growth could end if KDDI gets the iPhone. The two carriers would be on same playing field and competition would hinge on plans and pricing, not phone availability. This is a change that could potentially shake up the mobile phone industry in the island country.
A rumor from Japan's Nikkei newspaper suggests wireless carrier KDDI will begin selling the iPhone 5 early next year. This deal would...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free