Apple shares huge iPhone sales and approval numbers
Tim Cook, subdued as he is today, was probably most excited this morning when talking about just how well the iPhone has done lately. The iPhone 4 specifically, says Cook, has continued to sell like crazy, and in fact now makes up half of the sales of the iPhone in total, overcoming both the original and the 3G and 3GS in units. "That momentum is far outpacing the industry," said Cook in today's event.
Customer satisfaction is huge for the phone as well -- the iPhone is consistently rated number 1 in every survey Cook says he can find, and 93% of the Fortune 500 companies are currently testing or deploying the iPhone in their operations.
All of that, says Cook, has given the iPhone just a 5% share in the handsets market around the world. Note that that's handsets as a whole, not just smartphones. Cook says the company is aiming to go even higher with the iPhone. "I could have shown a much larger number if I just showed smartphones, but that's not how we look at it," he said. Cook also promised more iPhone news later on today.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs