International unlocked iPhone 4S sales begin today
It's a happy day all over the world today, with a second wave of international iPhone 4S sales starting up. Even better, all of the phones that are going on sale today are unlocked, unlike American compatriots. Who says America is the land of the free?
So where can you pick one up? The new countries are Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland. Just visit your favorite carrier and you're free to sign up and begin using your new iPhone 4S.
The pricing on the unlocked iPhones is a bit steep. In Spain, for example, the 16 GB model goes for a cool €600 -- about $850. The 32 and 64 GB models are €700 and €800 respectively. This is a bit more than the unlocked pricing for Canada, which is running between CD$650 and CS$850 depending on which model you purchase. Things are even more expensive in Italy, as you can see in the screenshot at the top of this post.
Still, it's good to see that the iPhone 4S is in distribution in all of these countries and that the supply of the friendly phones (hey, I love Siri...) is in excellent shape. It should be interesting to see if Apple releases sales figures for the iPhone 4S next week after this massive distribution push over the weekend.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app
- Dropbox for iOS update adds new setup and file management options