Google releases official iOS Gmail app, then pulls it (updated)
Google finally released a standalone Gmail app for the iPhone and iPad, but subsequently pulled it because of bug issues related to notification errors. This comes alongside changes to Gmail's web interface.
The Gmail for iOS has the following features:
- Notification badges
- Read email via threaded conversations
- Organize email through archiving, labels, starring, deleting and reporting spam
- Priority inbox
- Send and receive attachments
- Comprehensive email search
Those in the TUAW newsroom who've already downloaded the app say it's pretty nice thus far, though there were already a couple of reports of notification errors.
Until now, iOS users had to program Gmail into Apple's iOS Mail client which, while serviceable, lacked many features available to Android users, who've had a native Gmail app for awhile. These include labels, starring and the priority inbox.
The free app is available now via the App Store.
Update (2:27 p.m. ET): The Gmail app has been pulled from the App Store, which is not surprising noting the number of errors being reported among our staff and on Twitter. We'll keep you up to date on any further information regarding why the app was pulled.
Update (2:40 p.m. ET): Google updated its Gmail announcement post with the following: "Earlier today we launched a new Gmail app for iOS. Unfortunately, it contained a bug which broke notifications and caused users to see an error message when first opening the app. We've removed the app while we correct the problem, and we're working to bring you a new version soon. Everyone who's already installed the app can continue to use it."
Google finally released a standalone Gmail app for the iPhone and iPad, but subsequently pulled it because of bug issues related to...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free