iPhone 4S reportedly to launch in Taiwan December 14-16
The iPhone 4S is rolling out globally and its next stop may be Taiwan. A Digitimes report suggests the iPhone 4S will go on sale in the Pacific Rim country starting next month. Apple has not confirmed the release, but industry sources in Taiwan claim the handset will hit Taiwan's three largest carriers sometime between December 14-16.
Chunghwa Telecom (CHT), Taiwan Mobile (TWM) and Far EasTone Telecommunications (FET) are supposedly working with Apple to lower the price of the 4S. The carriers want the iPhone 4S to debut at a price point that's only NT$1,000 (US$33) above the iPhone 4. Presumably, this lower price will entice current iPhone owners to buy the 4S instead of waiting for the iPhone 5 which could launch sometime in mid-2012.
Sales in the territory are expected to be moderate and Apple may supply carriers with only 30,000 total units. The bulk (50 percent) of these handsets will go to Chunghwa Telecom. Taiwan Mobile and Far EasTone will split the remaining shipment and get 25 percent each. Most of the iPhone 4S units will be 16 GB and 32 GB models. Less than 1500 units will be the 64 GB model.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter