Apple receives week-long extension on Aussie Galaxy tab ban
Australia's High Court has decided to extend Apple's temporary injunction against sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 in Australia for a week, reports GigaOM. The delay will give the court time to consider Apple's request for permission to appeal the end of the ban, which was struck down on Wednesday.
It's possible that Apple's immediate intention here is to continue to keep the Galaxy Tablet 10.1 off of Australian shelves during the all-important holiday sales period. Losing a week of retail in December could be more detrimental than a similar loss during the rest of the year. In fact, such a costly delay could prompt Samsung to scrap an Australian release entirely.
Apple believes the Tab infringes on its patents for the iPad, while Samsung is obviously arguing in the other direction. The High Court is scheduled to announce a decision within the next seven days.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync