Vintage console RPG Chrono Trigger is now on iOS
In addition to all of the other great games that appeared on the App Store last night (Batman: Arkham City Lockdown is available, and the Skyrim Dragon Shout app is out as well), the long-awaited Chrono Trigger has also arrived, and as a game, I have to give it my highest recommendation.
This is one of the best Japanese RPGs ever made, if not the best, and it's a must-play if you haven't yet. The sprites and graphics are gorgeous, the characters are well-defined and the story is intriguing. The combat system does some really fun things that I haven't even seen replicated in other titles since the game came out in 1995. This version includes two additional areas not in the original game; they were added in the Nintendo DS version.
Unfortunately, this one suffers a little bit from the usual problems of porting an old console title to iOS -- the fonts aren't quite right, and the overlay controls, while workable, do cover up some of that gorgeous art. If you want to play it on an actual console, you can find versions on the Wii's Virtual Console and the PlayStation Network, as well as the DS.
But no matter how you play it, don't miss this one if you haven't ever given it a shot -- even years later, the game still shines. It's on the App Store now for $9.99.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype
- Amazon Cloud Drive Photos gains video, iPad support
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station