Grand Theft Auto III now available on international App Stores, coming to US
Rockstar's classic sandbox game, Grand Theft Auto III, is now available on international App Stores in New Zealand and Australia. As the day rolls across timezones, it should be available in Europe and the US later today.
Rockstar promised to launch the game on December 15 for both iOS and Android, and it's kept its word. Grand Theft Auto III, the game that brought the whole sandbox experience into the forefront of gaming and arguably did a lot to make games more "adult-oriented," is available as a universal game for iPad/iPhone/iPod touch for just US$4.99.
The controls for the game will be fully touch-based, so it will be intriguing to see how well (or how poorly) the full experience of Grand Theft Auto III translates to the smaller touchscreens of Apple's portable devices. I'm sure at least one member of the TUAW team will be happy to give this game a runthrough and review soon after its release.
Grand Theft Auto III is supported on both models of iPad, the iPhone 4 and 4S, and the 4th generation iPod touch. It is a surprisingly slim 462 MB download, and while it's not available in the US Store as of this writing, it should be coming out within hours from now.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype
- Amazon Cloud Drive Photos gains video, iPad support
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station