Report suggests App Store growing rapidly in China
It's no secret that Apple has big plans for China. During several of the past quarterly earnings calls, CEO Tim Cook and CFO Peter Oppenheimer have made repeated references to both past growth and future plans for the nation. Now a report from app market research firm Distimo [via GigaOM] indicates that the App Store for iPhone in China is growing rapidly.
In the report, compiled by Distimo analyst Hendrik Koekkoek, he notes that the Apple App Store for iPhone in China generated only 18 percent of the downloads of the combined US and China stores in January of 2011. By November, that number had jumped to 30 percent.
Even more amazing are the numbers for iPad apps. As of November of 2011, the number of downloads from the Apple App Store for iPad was almost identical for the US and China. A summary of the Distimo report is available (PDF download), containing information about all of the various app stores for different mobile platforms.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app