Reports suggest Apple retail had a great Christmas
We've already heard that the iPhone and iOS had a record day this Christmas weekend, and here's even more stats proving that's the case. First up, the latest data from Flurry Analytics points out that both iOS and Android saw not only record activations over the holiday weekend, with as many as 6.8 million new devices connecting up to their respective app stores for the first time. And of course with new devices comes new app downloads: Flurry says there were around 242 million app downloads on Christmas Day alone, a rise of more than 125% compared to the previous month's average (which itself has been high, I believe, ever since Thanksgiving).
GigaOm also cites some other usage figures, including the fact that over 7% of new purchases made on a mobile device this past Sunday were on an iPad. That means people wasted no time at all in breaking open their new Apple tablets and using them to buy more stuff.
All in all, it sounds like quite the phenomenal weekend for Apple, and all of the various developers and services that rely on the App Store for their livelihoods. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of these kinds of statistics. Stay tuned for more in the coming days and weeks to hear just how great a Christmas it was for the iOS ecosystem.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration