Skype for iPad: TUAW Best of 2011 iPad social networking app
While the voting in this category of the TUAW Best of 2011 wasn't exactly overwhelming, the readers have spoken -- Skype for iPad (free) was voted the best iPad social networking app for the year.
Since the introduction of the iPad 2 with its built-in cameras, Skype for iPad has made it possible to make bi-directional video calls from the tablet with excellent sound quality and a host of other features. The app pulled in 42.9 percent of reader votes, topping second-place winners (both tied with 20.8 percent of the vote) IntoNow and Twitter client Echofon.
Skype for iPad has a number of features that aren't available with Apple's own FaceTime app, including the ability to send and receive phone calls to and from landlines or mobile phones.
Our congratulations go out to the Skype Software S.a.r.l team for their continued work on improving and optimizing Skype for iPad.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version
- Weather Underground iPhone app gets crowdsourced weather, iOS 7 style
- Apple updates iMovie, adds support for older Macs