Skype for iPad: TUAW Best of 2011 iPad social networking app
While the voting in this category of the TUAW Best of 2011 wasn't exactly overwhelming, the readers have spoken -- Skype for iPad (free) was voted the best iPad social networking app for the year.
Since the introduction of the iPad 2 with its built-in cameras, Skype for iPad has made it possible to make bi-directional video calls from the tablet with excellent sound quality and a host of other features. The app pulled in 42.9 percent of reader votes, topping second-place winners (both tied with 20.8 percent of the vote) IntoNow and Twitter client Echofon.
Skype for iPad has a number of features that aren't available with Apple's own FaceTime app, including the ability to send and receive phone calls to and from landlines or mobile phones.
Our congratulations go out to the Skype Software S.a.r.l team for their continued work on improving and optimizing Skype for iPad.
Software Updatesmore updates
- Apple Remote Desktop updated with Yosemite support
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter