whited00r gives older iPhones iOS5 features
Apple devices age well, so well that there are still people using the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G. When we think of those phones, we think "classic hardware with older software," but it doesn't have to be that way. For Apple fans with these now classic handsets, there's whited00r, a version of iOS that mimics some of the features of iOS 5. It's been around as a release candidate and finally made it to a stable release.
Whited00r is based on iOS 3.1.3 and has mods that let you experience folders, multi-tasking, iCloud-like functionality via Dropbox, reminders and more. Whited00r doesn't include notifications or iCloud, but there are third-party work arounds. It also doesn't support the App Store, but you can install Cydia or access the App Store using a Safari bookmark. Yes, it's not iOS 5, but it's the closest you will get on your older handsets.
You can find download and installation instructions on whited00r's website. The process is very straightforward, especially if you already know how to install an ipsw file using iTunes.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync
- Apple adds iTunes Extras to Apple TV
- Spotify updates with new iPhone controls in time for summer BBQs
- iTunes U update will bring course creation and student discussion to iPad app