Daily iPad App: Wrestlefest brings the smackdown
THQ recently released a game called Wrestlefest on the App Store, and it's a weird mix of retro gaming and iOS. If you're a WWE fan, you'll probably love Wrestlefest. There's plenty of knock-down and several WWE stars, plus various game modes and moves to enjoy.
The game itself is hard to quantify. It's actually a remake of a 1991 wrestling game, and fans of that version will like this one, too. The graphics are clean and clear, the music is faithfully represented, and the controls are as good as they've ever been, despite being transferred over to virtual buttons and a joystick.
I should qualify the statement, "the controls are as good as they've ever been." Wrestling games fighting games, of course, but with emphasis on crazy comebacks and loony action. As a result, Wrestlefest doesn't really work too well for me. It's not always clear what's going on, and it seems like the best strategy is to mash the buttons as hard as possible. When that doesn't work, I don't know what does. Perhaps my experience would be different if I were familiar with the original game. But since I'm not, I feel a little lost while playing Wrestlefest.
Of course, THQ wants you to play anyway. The game is available in a free version with limited content, and if you find that you like it, you can pay US$2.99 to unlock everything and play as much as you want.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options