Apple announces top all-time paid and free apps
With the 25 billionth app sold the evening of March 3rd to Chunli Fu of Qingdao, China, Apple has now taken the time to tally up the top all-time paid and free apps for iPhone and iPad. The last time Apple updated the list was when a paltry 10 billion apps had gone out the virtual doors of the App Store.
While space prohibits posting the entire list here, let it suffice to say that Angry Birds (US$0.99) topped the list for paid iPhone apps, Facebook was the most-downloaded free iPhone app, Pages ($9.99) was the most popular paid iPad app, and Angry Birds HD Free pushed its way to the top of the free iPad app list.
MacStories editor Federico Viticci did a slice and dice on the data, and came up with these interesting factoids, among others:
- 17 apps from Top Paid for iPhone chart are from the Games category.
- There are no Apple apps in the Top Paid for iPhone chart.
- There are two Google apps in the Top Free for iPhone chart, no Apple apps.
- 10 apps from Top Free for iPhone chart are from the Games category.
- 13 apps from Top Paid for iPad chart are from the Games category.
- There are 4 Apple apps in the Top Paid for iPad chart.
- There are no Apple apps in the Top Free for iPad chart.
- 6 apps from Top Paid for iPad chart are from the Productivity category.
- 6 apps from Top Free for iPad chart are from the Games category.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- IFTTT adds a location channel to its iOS App
- Plants vs. Zombies 2 gets upgraded map, more 'cool' stuff
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype