Russia reclassifies iPad as a computer, avoids 5% import tax
According to a report in the Russian newspaper Vedomosti, the Russian government has classified the iPad as computer. While this will bring a smile to analysts who love to compare iPad and PC sales, this move has nothing to do with the market category of the device.
This change is an administrative one and lets Russian customers import the iPad without paying a 5 percent import tax. Previously, the iPad was taxed because the 3G version with GPS was classified as a navigation device. The report did not clarify whether the 3G iPad will still be considered a navigation device, but it did say other tablets with GPS will be subject to the tax.
According to a report in the Russian newspaper Vedomosti, the Russian government has classified the iPad as computer. While this will...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- IFTTT adds a location channel to its iOS App
- Plants vs. Zombies 2 gets upgraded map, more 'cool' stuff
- Remote Desktop update brings OS X Mavericks support and improved multi-display support
- Valve revamps Steam Mobile for iOS
- Google Drive iOS app finally lets you sort items and find and replace in documents
- Viber announces Viber Out calls for iOS, goes head to head with Skype