Russia reclassifies iPad as a computer, avoids 5% import tax
According to a report in the Russian newspaper Vedomosti, the Russian government has classified the iPad as computer. While this will bring a smile to analysts who love to compare iPad and PC sales, this move has nothing to do with the market category of the device.
This change is an administrative one and lets Russian customers import the iPad without paying a 5 percent import tax. Previously, the iPad was taxed because the 3G version with GPS was classified as a navigation device. The report did not clarify whether the 3G iPad will still be considered a navigation device, but it did say other tablets with GPS will be subject to the tax.
According to a report in the Russian newspaper Vedomosti, the Russian government has classified the iPad as computer. While this will...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Daily App: MyScript Calculator solves your hand-written math equations
- Findery app lets you discover the world around you using annotated notes and maps
- The Learnist app brings its crowd-sourced collection of information to your iPhone
- My cat Cinnamon reviews Friskies Cat Fishing 2
- Photo Grid Collage Maker is capable and free
- iExit gets new features and is now free