Russia reclassifies iPad as a computer, avoids 5% import tax
According to a report in the Russian newspaper Vedomosti, the Russian government has classified the iPad as computer. While this will bring a smile to analysts who love to compare iPad and PC sales, this move has nothing to do with the market category of the device.
This change is an administrative one and lets Russian customers import the iPad without paying a 5 percent import tax. Previously, the iPad was taxed because the 3G version with GPS was classified as a navigation device. The report did not clarify whether the 3G iPad will still be considered a navigation device, but it did say other tablets with GPS will be subject to the tax.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- OS X Yosemite 10.10.2, iOS 8.1.3 updates now available
- Sports Illustrated 120 SPORTS channel comes to Apple TV
- Logic Pro X update brings AirDrop support, new effects, tools, and more
- Parallels Access 2.5 released, adds file manager, computer-to-computer remote access
- The Google Translate iOS app is about to get a lot smarter
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app