Russia reclassifies iPad as a computer, avoids 5% import tax
According to a report in the Russian newspaper Vedomosti, the Russian government has classified the iPad as computer. While this will bring a smile to analysts who love to compare iPad and PC sales, this move has nothing to do with the market category of the device.
This change is an administrative one and lets Russian customers import the iPad without paying a 5 percent import tax. Previously, the iPad was taxed because the 3G version with GPS was classified as a navigation device. The report did not clarify whether the 3G iPad will still be considered a navigation device, but it did say other tablets with GPS will be subject to the tax.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)