iPhone is top-selling cellphone in Japan
A report in the Mainichi Daily News suggests the iPhone 4S is the top-selling mobile phone in Japan. The iPhone 4S is reportedly beating out handsets from local favorites like Fujitsu-Toshiba, Sharp and Panasonic.
According to IDC Japan estimates, the iPhone grabbed 26.6 percent of all mobile phone shipments in the October-December 2011 quarter. Fujitsu-Toshiba claimed the second spot with 18.3 percent of shipments and Sharp ranked third with 15.7 percent. Total mobile phone shipments in Japan climbed to 10.65 million units in the year-ending quarter.
The iPhone 4S went on sale in Japan starting in October 2011. Early sales were strong and the iPhone climbed to the top of Japan's handset market within a few weeks. The handset is sold by local carriers SoftBank and KDDI.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features