Pulse News for iOS adds local content for many cities
Pulse News for iOS has added a local category to its news aggregation app. The change puts hundreds of local news sources into the Pulse app, which can make the app a 1 stop destination for a lot of users.
As far as I know this is the first news app that has offered tailored local content. Partners include Patch (from our owners AOL), which is available in 800 US cities, and some other regional and suburban publishers have joined up as well.
In addition to local news, the app offers localized deals from Groupon, Living Social and Gift City. A new local sports category has content from SBNation, Bleacher Report, and CBS Sports. Finally, the app has added Zagat restaurant info and local food blogs to help users find the best meals in their areas.
I tried the app today to generally good results. I didn't see any info from Patch (they don't do anything here in Arizona), but the other categories populated quickly. Local news has been pretty much ignored by most of the news aggregation apps, so this is a good step for news junkies who find it easier to get news from Afghanistan than their own backyard.
The Pulse News app does not require an update. The new feature is added at the server side, so users only have to add a new content source to see the local news options.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync