Dear Aunt TUAW: Help me access the lock-screen camera
Dear Aunt TUAW,
Have you been receiving reports that the camera button on the iOS 5.1 Lock screen doesn't work? It doesn't matter if the phone is actually locked, or just on the lock screen. Press the camera button and the whole screen just bounces a couple times, then does nothing.
I looked through the settings, and didn't see anything about enabling this feature. I read your site everyday, and hope you might know more about this than I do.
(Really do love your site, btw. THANKS!)
Your loving nephew,
What you're seeing is normal behavior under 5.1. Instead of tapping or double-tapping the camera icon, just drag the icon up to reveal the camera underneath the lock screen. Drag down from the top of the screen to hide it again or use the Home button to leave that mode.
Make sure to set a passcode lock for your unit if you don't want your photos and videos library fully accessible from the lock screen.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync