Dear Aunt TUAW: Help me access the lock-screen camera
Dear Aunt TUAW,
Have you been receiving reports that the camera button on the iOS 5.1 Lock screen doesn't work? It doesn't matter if the phone is actually locked, or just on the lock screen. Press the camera button and the whole screen just bounces a couple times, then does nothing.
I looked through the settings, and didn't see anything about enabling this feature. I read your site everyday, and hope you might know more about this than I do.
(Really do love your site, btw. THANKS!)
Your loving nephew,
What you're seeing is normal behavior under 5.1. Instead of tapping or double-tapping the camera icon, just drag the icon up to reveal the camera underneath the lock screen. Drag down from the top of the screen to hide it again or use the Home button to leave that mode.
Make sure to set a passcode lock for your unit if you don't want your photos and videos library fully accessible from the lock screen.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Dropbox adds file/folder renaming and Office document editing to iOS app
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)