Dear Aunt TUAW: Help me access the lock-screen camera
Dear Aunt TUAW,
Have you been receiving reports that the camera button on the iOS 5.1 Lock screen doesn't work? It doesn't matter if the phone is actually locked, or just on the lock screen. Press the camera button and the whole screen just bounces a couple times, then does nothing.
I looked through the settings, and didn't see anything about enabling this feature. I read your site everyday, and hope you might know more about this than I do.
(Really do love your site, btw. THANKS!)
Your loving nephew,
What you're seeing is normal behavior under 5.1. Instead of tapping or double-tapping the camera icon, just drag the icon up to reveal the camera underneath the lock screen. Drag down from the top of the screen to hide it again or use the Home button to leave that mode.
Make sure to set a passcode lock for your unit if you don't want your photos and videos library fully accessible from the lock screen.
Dear Aunt TUAW, Have you been receiving reports that the camera button on the iOS 5.1 Lock screen doesn't work? It doesn't matter if the...
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Pandora Radio 5.1: Wake up to your favorite station
- Microsoft revamps Bing for iPad
- Readdle rolls out PDF Expert 5: iCloud support, shared folder with Documents by Readdle
- FlightTrack 5: new look and features just in time for holiday travel
- HBO Go for iOS update adds Google Chromecast support
- Haiku Deck updates iPad app, launches web-based cloud version