iPads bought, unboxed ahead of US launch; Woz waits patiently in LA (Updated)
The wave of happy new iPad owners is rolling towards US shores, as the 8 am local on-sale time has already hit the other side of the world; heavy traffic and brisk sales were reported in Sydney, Hong Kong and elsewhere.
For those of us waiting in line overnight outside Apple Stores to pick up a new iPad (picture above is from Burlington, Ontario and the one below is from Park City mall in Lancaster), we should take a moment to acknowledge our wacky, wealthy patron saint: Woz.
Yes, once again Apple's co-founder and resident free spirit has chosen to wait in line to buy a product that he could certainly have delivered to him by a fleet of hovercraft or a butler on a Segway. That, in part, is why we love him. Business Insider pointed out the interview below, where Woz talks with our buddy Shira Lazar in Los Angeles.
Woz knows that he doesn't have to wait in line from Thursday noon to Friday morning, but he says his "ritual" is important to him. He also said he's finally going to move up to a higher-capacity iPad so he has more room for movies.
Inveterate line-waiter Rob Shoesmith opted to have his iPad delivered directly, and shares his unboxing video. NYC retailer Tekserve has a video rundown of iPad accessories, too. If you've got pictures to share, hit us up on Twitter or on our Facebook fan page!
Park City line:
And here's Knoxville, TN as of 7:30 AM ET.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration
- Yahoo Mail improves email inbox searching with new filtering options
- Ember for Mac gains 'hugely-requested' screen recording feature
- Spotify update adds equalizer, refreshed Artist page and more
- Fantastical 2.1 for iOS adds new snooze, search and notification features
- ExpanDrive 4, more services and faster sync