Apple offers royalty-free license to nano-SIM patents
FOSS Patents obtained a letter that Apple's legal team sent to the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) about its nano-SIM patents.
The letter said that Apple will grant royalty-free licenses to any essential nano-SIM patent as long as its nano-SIM proposal is approved and other patent holders agree to do the same with their patents.
This olive branch from Apple should alleviate any concerns that the company intends to use its patents to control and monetize the standard. The ETSI is expected to discuss the standard later this week.
Subscribe to Newsletter
Software Updatesmore updates
- Vizzywig 8xHD price tag now a very affordable $49.99
- Automatic targets teen drivers with License+ service
- Dropbox adds support for TouchID
- YouTube for iOS gets updated with full support for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus
- iOS 8.0.1 update now available (Updated -- Don't update!)
- NFL Mobile updated for 2014 Season with new Fantasy Football features, NFL Now integration